Sunday, November 23, 2008

A thing of beauty!

The light...I can see it! You know, the one at the end of the tunnel??? Here is the latest from our homefront. Below, Kenny is getting ready to prime the sanded walls.



He primes the red wall in grey to lessen the number of coats of red we'll need.
Rollie (don't ask me what his real name is!) paints on the first coats of red. It went on rather pinkish, but dried to a nice dark brick color.
Rollie and Paul paint on the light brown on the rest of the walls.
Rollie helps Dean start the hardwood flooring. We picked out a nice 3.25" red oak for the kitchen.

Drew helps out in the sweeping department.
This is Kenny's daughter, Trista. She helped vacuum and then ended up staying overnight with Drew and Luci. We put our sleeping bags on the floor in front of the tv and the girls got popcorn and watched The Polar Express.
Here's the installed floor in the kitchen. Even without the poly it looked fabulous!
This is a "before" shot of my dad's bedroom. He got 2.25" red oak for his room.
And here is my BEAUTIFUL new kitchen floor!!! Man, this picture just doesn't do it justice! It's absolutely gorgeous!!! This is just the first of 3 coats of poly, but it'll pretty much look this way after the final coat.

After my two photo shoots today, my dad and I drove to Sears where we picked out and bought a new stainless steel refrigerator with a bottom mount freezer, a stainless steel convection oven range and a matching range hood. We opted against putting a microwave over the range as I prefer to see when my food is about to boil over or burn in the microwave, not to mention making it tough to clean without a step-stool! Instead we bought a tall cabinet that was designed for a wall oven at or near countertop level and we'll put the microwave in there so it looks like it's built in. It's a rather old microwave, so when it does end up kicking the bucket, we'll probably replace it with a stainless one to match the rest of the appliances. Our dishwasher is in a state of limbo at the moment. It is a black one which would match just fine, but it has been sitting outside while we put up the addition, and we've had some pretty cold weather here, so we're not sure if it had water in it or not. If it did, it probably froze and broke something somewhere, in which case, we've already picked a stainless one at Sears to replace it. If not, then bonus...save some money! So anyway...sorry if I'm bragging...I somethimes can't help my exuberance when I'm overjoyed! (Just ask anyone who bumped into me while we waited for Drew or Luci's referrals!)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it! That IS the EXACT same colors that we have in our house!!!!
    Everything looks so great! I'm sure you now feel it was worth the 10+ years of the old kitchen.
    BTW...We are looking at close to the same color hardwood flooring for our home, except ours is just slightly darker to match the wood of our balcony, staircase, doors and cabinets. I've already picked out our new living, dining and bedroom furniture and will have that before our flooring is in in the spring! Suits me just fine! I'll finally be getting my leather sectional I've been waiting SOOO long for (since we moved in!)!!! Yippeee!!
    Looks like a very Merry Christmas for the G family!!!

    ReplyDelete