Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March Musings

Well, it's officially spring! Too bad it doesn't feel like spring! It's still in the 30's here, and though the snow is all but gone, it is still chilly. Patience is a virtue, they say, but I guess I'm not very virtuous because I have cabin fever in the worst way!! Each winter I go through sees me with less and less patience for the snow and cold during such a LONG winter as we always have. I dream of a warmer climate, but it is just that, a dream. Dean will never leave his job up here, nor his family, so here I am stuck...in a cold, frozen tundra until mid-May when the temps finally start resembling something akin to warm. SIGH!!

In brighter news...I'm still enjoying going to the gym (amazingly!!) and it has really paid off thus far! Since 08/09 I have dropped a total of 49 pounds!! I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that I really DO wear a smaller size!! FOUR sizes smaller, in fact! When I first bought a pair of pants in my new size, I thought it was just the brand but that I was probably a size bigger in other brands. On a recent shopping trip for jeans, I brought 3 different sizes in with me to the fitting room. As it turned out, every brand I tried on was the same new size! I didn't need the 2 larger sizes I brought in!! I am VERY pleased with my progress...though I have been plateauing at the 49 mark now for weeks! Methinks it's time to step up my workout again!

Anyway, onto the picture portion of my post! The girls' school celebrated Dr. Suess' birthday with a week-long reading party. The Wednesday of that week was deemed Wacky Wednesday and the kids were encouraged to dress wacky. Luci got right into it and here's her outfit!



Drew, as she ages, becomes more reserved. She opted for a Halloween tee and striped pants, but wouldn't let me make her hair crazy. She's growing up, I guess!!

My workout partner, Sue, is the Pre-Kindergarten teacher at the girls' school. The teachers were also encouraged to get a little wacky and here's what she came up with! She poses with Randy, one of our camping buddies.
After school got out for the day, I took Luci's hair out of the 4 crazy buns I put it in and this is what her hair looked like afterwards!
2 wweekends ago, the girls' Girl Scout neighborhood hosted a swim ingathering. Luci was supposed to go, but she caught the local flu-bug and was left at home in tears and with a nsty temp. (Thankfully, her only symptom was a 6-day long temp!) So, I brought Drew and she had a great time.



Thursday, the 17th, was my birthday. Not just ANY birthday, but my 40th!! Yikes! I am getting old!! Ha ha! Anyway, since getting my Pandora bracelet for Xmas, getting gifts for me has become a little easier for everyone! Here's the charm Dean gave me. It is not a Pandora, but rather a Silverado charm. Buddha sits atop a Murano glass globe. I LOVE this!!!!
Tina had the same idea, but she got me the Pandora version Buddha!!
And Julie got me this Pandora "Best Friends" charm! I was definitely feeling the love by my friends and family this year!!
This past Saturday, we all went out to a local dive to party! Here's Julie and Sue getting their groove on out on the dance floor!
Julie and Al doing a wheelchair dance! Many years ago, Al lost the use of his legs due to a motorcycle accident. But he has weathered the storm pretty well and is as happy as he was before his accident thanks to lots of family and friend support! When I was in high school, I had the biggest crush on this guy! Julie used to date his older brother and that's how we met. I have a picture of Al and I holding hands at a beach, but we never did end up dating. Anyway, he's a great guy who is lots of fun!
The next day, the girls' school hosted a family swim day at the high school. So we grabbed Sonja and even Papa went!
Sonja dons some floaties!
Dean gives Luci a toss into the air!
An underwater shot of Drew. Drew finally got brave enough to give up the floaties and learn how to tread water. She is quite proud of herself!! (I think she was a little embarrassed watching a Kindergartner swimming in the deep end without floaties!)


Today's Quotes:

One good husband is worth two good wives, for the scarcer things are, the more they are valued. ~Benjamin Franklin

When you look at your life the greatest happiness are family happinesses. ~Dr. Joyce Brothers

A blessed thing it is for any man or woman to have a friend, one human soul whom we can trust utterly, who knows the best and worst of us, and who loves us in spite of all our faults. ~Charles Kingsley

No comments:

Post a Comment